Friday, April 10, 2009

the goodbyes begin

Written 9.4, but couldn't publish last night...

I’m incredibly tired as I sit down to write this blog tonight, but I don’t want to start this busy weekend off behind in my documenting. Jamie and I are getting up early to join the church we went to last weekend for a Good Friday sunrise services on Signal Hill. I’m trying to get to sleep at a reasonable time, but it’s already 11:30.

I just returned from a very fun night. We decided to have a potluck tonight with some of the girls. It was so much fun we’re making it a weekly occurrence called “See You Thursday.” Not really sure why we named it…it must have been that much fun! ☺ We sat around with some of the new people and old people and talked for hours. We laughed and ate and just spent time enjoying the company of new friends from around the world.

The goodbyes seem to be beginning at work already. Perhaps I’m just in the frame of mind to start preparing myself for my return trip home, but it seems as though I’m beginning to have to start saying goodbye. A number of the kids that were new when I arrived are now getting to go home. Joe and Missy were already gone by the time I got there this morning. They were transitioned to the medical facility many of the patients go to as a step in the transition home. It was weird not being able to say goodbye and participate in that transition home, but discharge is so sporadic it’s hard to know when things are really happening.

The little boy who has been here with his mother for 3 months is finally going home! He has to come back in a few days, but the mother feels so blessed to join her family for the Easter holiday. We started our goodbyes to him, knowing that the time is short for him to remain in the hospital.

Nelly was back from the medical facility for an outpatient appointment. We learned that her parents had contacted the facility to come get Nelly. This was surprising news as Nelly’s family was thought to be non-existent. It is good however to watch her get ready to transition home. She gave me a big bear hug today and we said our goodbyes - this time for good.

We also said goodbye to our first patient to die while I’ve been here. The burns were just too massive for his little body and last night his fight ended. I had not worked closely with him, but did spend time yesterday blowing bubbles and singing with him. I know he is finally at peace and I pray for his family as they cope with the grief of their loss.

I’m thankful for these moments to begin the goodbye process. I think it would be too hard to do all at once, so I pray that I will have the wisdom to utilize these last few weeks most effectively and the courage to say goodbye to this experience.

I did another comfort hold today. This time I didn’t even ask. I just picked the child up and held out her hand. The sister told me, “she must lay down.” I asked if she thought she’d be able to do the dressing with me holding the little girl and she actually agreed! It was fabulous.

Today Prof told Caroline – “I don’t like you being on C2. I love you being here!” He has just been full of compliments today! :)

I know this was a brief blog with random jumps in thought, but my eyes are so heavy, they are closing and I’m not really sure what I’m writing.

I just need to send a couple shout outs…

Thank you so much for the wonderful e.mail you sent me Deborah. It was a wonderful pick me up and so nice of you to remember me!

I did get my birthday cards Mom and Dad, Erin and Pete, and Brett and Becca. Thanks!!

Nana – I thought about you a lot today because they use “Monkey Blood” on wounds to help them heal. ☺That doesn't give you permission to start using it again, though.

That’s all for now – I think I might actually be asleep as I’m writing this! ☺

Love you all.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Haven't thought of "monkey blood" in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be becoming quite a native now that you are putting your dates as 9.4 instead of 4.9, or is that standard medical terminology?

    "Monkey blood" made me smile too. I hope you have a really happy Easter. I have never heard of a sunrise service for Good Friday. I hope it was great.

    We have our Good Friday pageant at church tonight. I'm just playing for a couple of singers. The theme is Christ in America. Long passages are taken straight from the scriptures. It's not always the most dynamic dialogue, but the message is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Cara,
    I haven't been down here to use the computer for several days, so haven't read your blogs. Your mother is typing this for me, so it will go faster. Erin put the two kids to sleep, well, make that Millie. Your dad is with Eli while we are down here in the "living room" in Birchwood. I think of you a lot and know you are having wonderful experiences, but don't forget where home is! Could you please try to bring some methiolate, also known by you and your siblings as monkey blood, back with you. It is hard to find here because it has mercury in it. It's a great healer. The sting only lasted a few moments and you had to blow on it. Neosporin just isn't as good.
    I used your experience of "presence" in a testimony I gave at prayer and testimony service, relating it to the presence we have here at the Groves. I hope you will publish a book with all of your experiences. I think it would really sell.
    Miss you. Love, Nana

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahh, family. thanks so much for you comments! i'm really missing you all this weekend. i think it's because i have 4 days off and am not at the hospital. when i'm there, my purpose seems so clear and i absorb myself in that, but when i have days off and am just doing touristy stuff i gives me an opportunity to miss you. :)

    nate. it's not medical, it's just me trying to be cool and the date the way they do here. i get so confused switching back and fort that i've switched to the way the rest of the world does it while i'm here. :)

    nana. at first i couldn't figure out who your message was from. i tried to figure out why dad would need mom to type a message for him and got a little worried. :) then i realized the message was from you. :) i'm so glad something i wrote prompted you to share at your service. that's wonderful. :) i haven't forgotten where home is an i will be there before you know it. three weeks from tomorrow to be exact! it's gone so quickly! but i'm definitely missing monday nights with you. you're in charge of planning the one the day after i get back. :)

    love you all! it really does give me a pick-me-up when i have messages from you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would certainly encourage to write the book as suggested above.It would be wonderful. You have experienced so much in this short time,drawing all of us in as if we were there, a book would be awesome.Your talent and compassion certainly warms the heart as we envision you with these little children

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cara, please forgive all my errors, I guess I need to recheck my messages as indicated. I am so filled with admiration for you as I hear all you do.

    ReplyDelete