Friday, April 24, 2009

the first of the lasts

Today was my last Friday at the hospital…and thus begins the lasts. I’m not quite ready for all the lasts, but they’re coming regardless, so I will embrace them and enjoy them. Today was definitely a cherished day.

The ward was extremely slow today, most of the kids having had their wound checks yesterday and only a couple scheduled for theatre. I spent a large part of my day with Wednesday. His good friend had gone to theatre, so he was left without a playmate and needing some major attention. We pretended like cricket pitchers (I don’t even know if that’s the right terminology) and threw the ball back and forth down the hallway. He wore me out just watching all his energy buzzing around the unit. Sunday thrives on love. I can’t tell you how many sticky hugs and snotty kisses I received from him today. He was upset when his friend came back from surgery crying, so we spent some time just sitting together blowing bubbles. He was very sad to see us leave today, but I assured him we would be back to play next week.

For part of my playtime with Wednesday I was holding Bona (I wish I could write his real name on here because I love to say it!). He was so playful and would mimic everything that Wednesday did. It has been so great to watch how far Bona has come under Danielle’s care. He used to be a baby who just lay in his bed and watched the world pass by. But now he is so engaged and interactive. He sits up and plays and giggles and talks and mimics. It has been so great to see.

Joe and Missy came back today for physio. They looked so great! They were shy at first, but soon warmed up and I got my fair share of hugs and kisses. I was really glad to have such an uneventful day so I could spend some quality time playing and saying goodbye to them. I tried to tell Joe that I would be going home to America next week, so this was our forever goodbye. I don’t really think he got what I was saying, though. He repeated America and home and smiled really big. He did give me a big hug, though. It has been so amazing to watch him heal – physically and emotionally – during his time here. He was with me from the day I got here and has come such a long way. He used to be so withdrawn and scared. Now he is confident and full of life. It has been such an amazing transition to watch.

I also spent quite a bit of time with Lindy. She is a the little girl who had one of her legs amputated due to meningitis. She has such a sweet spirit and is always smiling and waving when we walk by. Caroline has been doing a lot of work with her and will actually be using Lindy and another girl, who had her legs amputated due to the same disease, for her case study to present to the hospital trust. The other little girl was never prepared for her amputation prior to surgery. She went in not knowing what was happening and came out with both her legs gone. Needless to say, the majority of interventions with her were centered on damage control. It’s difficult to help a little girl trust again when something like that has happened. I can only guess what she was imagining was going to happen each time she went in for surgery. Lindy on the other hand benefited from a great prep session with Caroline. They used a blank cloth doll and, with the help of a translator, performed surgery to remove the doll’s leg. Lindy was not happy with this thought (understandably so), but Caroline explained the need for her “really bad sick” leg to be removed and Lindy eventually came to understand. She has coped remarkably well since the surgery. Her story is such a contrast compared to the other little girl. There’s no doubt that Lindy will continue to encounter challenges and obstacles, but she is in the process of developing the coping skills she has gained to face those challenges as they come. It is great to see.

Tomorrow I leave for my safari in Kruger National Park, so I won’t be back on the blog until Monday night or Tuesday. Craig – the self described skinny ranger – will be waiting at the airport tomorrow to take us on our adventure. If we don’t come back, try checking with the lions! Have a great weekend! It’s your last one without me! ☺

7 comments:

  1. I'll be happy to see you, but we are really going to miss your blogs, and your kids. We'll keep praying for them, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know why that went in twice. You'll have to come home and show me how to use this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. forever goodbyes suck. not so great or supportive of a thing to say, but had to say it still, even made me get teary thinking of some of mine. will be lifting you up in prayer for peace and courage for the rest of those forever goodbyes still to come!!!! and i am SO excited for you and your safari... can not stinkin' wait to hear/see pics about it! please oh please wear a wide brimmed safari hat...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cara, You cannot possibly know how you touch the hearts of those blessed to share your experiences through your blogs. My heart goes out to you as you begin to say your good=byes, and it aches for the children you are leaving. Their lives have been so blessed by your compassionate heart. Our Lord has placed you where he wants you and will continue to do so. From ..Jeremiah 1:5 Before I shaped you in the womb, I knew all about you.Before you saw the light of day I had holy plans for you..

    ReplyDelete
  6. margaret. thank you so much for the scripture. it was truly a blessing for me as i read it. thank you as well for you continued support through the comments on my blog. it means so much to me.

    and thanks for your prayers mom, dad, and caro

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do we need to go check the lions? I'm waiting to find out what happened while you were on safari!

    ReplyDelete